Wednesday 30 June 2010

Saffron Chicken Satay Curry


When the summer comes, and the weather gets hot, something within me always desires a good curry. Call me crazy if you wish- I know it might sound a kind of heavy mix, but there is truly nothing better on a day where you can't escape the heat, to eat it.
So the last couple of days when I've been home alone, alternating between the combinations of: 'bikini and balcony' then 'shade and Internet' there is no surprise that the recipes that have been attracting me (and yes I know I sound kinda like a moth and a flame here) have all been Curry's or versions of. I can hardly stop myself from drooling when I think of a curry salad loaded with fresh bunches of coriander, marinated chicken pieces, roasted almond slivers, chick peas and to top it all off, juicy ripe mango. Unfortunately that's not at all what I made.. Just let myself get carried away with that delicious thought!
Perhaps (or at least, I like to think) that it is some throwback to having a Greek/Egyptian heritage, or maybe its just that I find Middle Eastern and Indian foods IRRESISTIBLE pretty much all the time (in hindsight the latter seems a lot more likely). Either way today I got my curry on for a lunch in the sun...

Saffron Chicken Satay Curry

Ingredients-
4 breasts of chicken, chopped into cubes or strips
1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper poder
1 teaspoon of sweet paprika powder
2 tablespoons of oil
3 onions, chopped into cubes or strips
2 garlic cloves, minced
100ml of apple juice
200ml of unsweetened coconut milk
2 tablespoons of peanut butter
2 large capsicums, chopped into cubes or strips
2 tablespoons of brown sugar
3-4 teaspoons of Thai red curry paste (depending on how hot you like it)
2 tablespoons of lime juice
200g of bean sprouts
100ml of soy sauce
5 dried bay leaves
2 good handfuls of fresh coriander (optional for serving)

Method-
In a medium sized bowl, marinate the chicken in the soy sauce and curry paste (you can either make in advance and leave to rest and develop or use straight away if you don't have time).
Heat oil a deep pan or saucepan and add the chicken, saffron and cayenne pepper, leaving any of the chickens' marinade left over to add later.
Cook until golden then add the onion, capsicum, sprouts and garlic and leave until the onion is also golden and softened.
Add the apple juice, coconut milk, peanut butter and any remaining marinade and mix well until the sauce is smooth. Add the bay leaves.
Cover and allow to simmer for at least 30 minutes.
Serve on rice, preferably with lots of fresh coriander and a sweaty brow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment