Tuesday 7 September 2010

Plum Crumble Cake



..... I have to admit it's been a while since I actually made this cake. So to summon up a witty anecdote about the tiny seed of an idea that this cake once was to me from the depths of my memory has proved itself to be difficult. In fact- Impossible. But I will write about what I actually DO remember. I LOVED IT. I love plums. I love crumble. I love almonds. And I love cake with tea.

And I did eat this cake with tea. I remember that. And I remember eating it with a maths tutor that was helping my sister. I remember not understanding anything but telling myself it didn't matter because the maths tutor couldn't make that cake. And I was right, she couldn't, and I could, and I prefer cake to equations. Thus self-esteem crisis solved. And so I give you my very, VERY good plum crumble cake-

PS. Don't worry, said maths tutor may have been able to make this cake if she had the recipe BUT always one step ahead, I write in English and not French, and as such cake will stay out of her arithmatic-stained hands.


Ingredients-
2 1/4 cups of regular flour (I used a bit more, as my dough was sticky- see how you go)

1 teaspoon of baking powder

1 teaspoon of salt

1 large lemon, zested then juiced

1 cup of castor sugar

3/4 cup of butter, cubed

3 eggs

1 tablespoon of vanilla extract

2 1/2 cups of plums, sliced

1-2 tablespoons of castor sugar, extra

1/4 cup sliced almonds

Method-
In a medium bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
One at a time, add the eggs then vanilla and ensure that all is well combined.
Add the flour, salt, baking powder and lemon zest and stir with a metal spoon, then combine with you hands until it comes together and can be pulled into a ball (it's here that I needed to add a little more flour to make it 'pull-together-able'). Freeze for 30 minutes.
In another medium bowl, throw together the plums, lemon juice, and extra sugar.
Line or butter a 25cm spring form pan and preheat your oven to 180°C.
Take your dough from the freezer and slice it in 2 pieces, and pat one half into the bottom of the pan.
Place the fruit on top of the dough, then seperate the remaining dough into 2.5cm 'blobs' and place them (strategically) on top of the fruit.
Bake for 30-40 minutes by which time the top should be golden and the fruit is boiling and bubbling away.

Enjoy for afternoon tea, with a nice cup of earl grey.

No comments:

Post a Comment