Saturday 26 June 2010

Killer Caramel Slice


Yesterday was just one of those days where all I wanted to do was cook.
I was in the mood for paying attention to details, for challenging recipes... and for something so deadly-sweet that not even I could finish the whole thing (well in one go anyway.. After a 5 minute breather I was back with a vengeance).
So when I was flicking through my 'dream team' collection of recipes, this Sticky Gooey Creamy recipe tickled my fancy solely because they were called 'Break Up Bars' and that's bound to signal an intense hit of comforting delight. Now I'm not going through a break up, BUT for all the times that I have and I DIDN'T know these bars existed/almost instantly block my arteries, I say- MAKE UP FOR LOST TIME!

A 'Break Up Bar' is in reality what Aussies call a Caramel Slice, or what I suppose Americans or Brits call Millionaires Shortbread (that's what I've seen it called on other blogs), but is a bit more souped up. Whatever the name, quite frankly its one of gods gifts to my mouth.
I have to admit I felt a little bit of apprehension before making this, because to say that my mum is the Queen of the caramel slice is a massive understatement. Amongst our family and friends she holds a legacy of making enormous quantities every Christmas, and I'm yet to see a remaining slice, regardless of the double layer of caramel.
But from the start, I could tell this recipe was a winner. Why?
N°1- Shortbread includes melted caramels.
N°2- Caramel is not just made with condensed milk, it also includes butter, golden syrup and mounds of dark brown sugar.

Killer Caramel Slice


Ingredients-

Shortbread-
2 cups of all purpose flour
1/2 cup of corn flour
1/2 cup of castor sugar
255g of room temperature butter, cut into tablespoon-sized pieces
1/2 of teaspoon salt
2/3 cup of caramels or toffees
2 tablespoons of cream
2 or so tablespoons of chilled water

Caramel Layer-
400g can of sweetened condensed milk
2 cups of packed dark brown sugar
225g of unsalted butter, cut into smallish cubes
6 tablespoons golden syrup
1/2 teaspoons of salt
1 tablespoon of pure vanilla extract

Chocolate Layer-
  • 60g of butter, cut into smallish pieces
  • 150g of dark chocolate, broken into single squares

Method-

Shortbread-
Preheat oven to 170°C and line a slice tin with baking paper that hangs over the edges.
In a smallish saucepan, boil some water, then place a metal or glass bowl in the water.
Add the caramels, 30g of butter and the cream. Stir to combine when melting, and watch that it doesn't get too hot to burn the caramel.
While the caramel is melting, grab a large bowl and combine the dry ingredients.
Add 225g of butter and rub until the mix resembles bread crumbs and starts to hold together like dough.
Add water if necessary to form a dough that will hold.
Once the caramel mix is liquid-y enough to spread into dough (doesn't have to be runny and can still have chunks), pour onto dough and knead until spread through. Press the shortbread into the tin, until even and then bake for around 30 minutes, then set aside to cool.


Caramel Layer-
Place a medium sized saucepan on a medium heat and add all the of ingredients, stirring until all of the sugar dissolves.
Increase heat to high and bring the mixture to the boil, stirring constantly. If you have a candy thermometer, cook until it reaches 115°C, if you don't (I didn't so don't stress) cook for around 15 or so minutes at boiling point.
Pour over the cooled shortbread and put in the fridge to partially set before adding chocolate layer.

Chocolate Layer-
In a microwave safe bowl, add the butter and chocolate, and set to cook for around 3 minutes (or until there are no chunks left), stirring every minute to prevent burning.
Pour over the partially set caramel, then put in fridge for another 3 hours at minimum before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment